Friday, September 9, 2011

Think, Speak, Act...All in One

Image: Google
Hello Optimists,


I was reading an article today about Caroline Kennedy's new book which features interviews from her mother, Jacqueline Kennedy, just a few months after the President's assassination. I heard about the release of these interviews just a few weeks ago, and have been anxiously awaiting more information on them ever since. Turns out, not only will the new book be released in a few days, but there will also be a special on TV that shares clips of the former First Lady's interviews.

For some reason, I love learning about the Kennedy family and was reading through the article today out of pure curiosity to see if there was anything "new" or profound in it that I had never heard in previous interviews. As I was reading, I was sort of disappointed in its contents, and ended up skimming through most of it. But, as it turns out, the very last sentence of the article, a direct quote, was just what I was looking for. As with most words spoken by history's greats, this was something I immediately knew I had to share, and it goes right along with the message behind Optimal Optimist.
"If you start to say or think that you hate someone, then the next day you'll act as if you hated him." -Jacqueline Kennedy
This is sad to say, but from personal experience I know this to be true. I think we all might. No matter how hard we try to keep our actions separated from our thoughts or beliefs, they always have a way of reflecting one another. For me, I guess it may be attributed to the fact that I can sometimes wear my emotions on my sleeve, and can't seem to conceal my true feelings when I am upset about something. But in general, I find it to be true that once we start talking or thinking about something in a negative way, we can't help but reflect those feelings in our actions.

That, of course, brings us back to the importance of keeping positive thoughts and trying only to speak kind words. If it is true that when we start thinking negative thoughts and they begin to negatively influence our actions, then it is also true that when we starting thinking positive thoughts, they will begin to positively influence our actions. Now that's what we're all striving for. All of our behaviors and actions start in our minds, where we formulate our opinions and thoughts about certain people, places or even things. If we can learn to look for the good in things and keep a positive mindset, then perhaps we can learn to act out only on those positive thoughts.

So what do you think? Can you separate your thoughts and words from your actions, or do you also believe that they are connected?

1 comment:

  1. An interesting post,which makes a lot of sense, I love the slogan on the t shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!