Saturday, January 21, 2012

4 Traits of Good Leaders

Image: blogs.worldbank.org

It's amazing what happens around 4:30 on Friday afternoons. At least, what happens to me, anyway.

There I sit, in my uncomfortably comfortable office chair, staring into the white glow of my computer screen, completely checked out for the weekend. It's not time to leave the office, no, no...there's still time on the clock, but I've basically already left. My work is done, and pushing forward onto a the start of a new project just isn't a good idea. I'd rather not start something that I will likely have to do over again on Monday morning.

So to help myself unwind, yet still stay productive on some level, I navigate over to some of my favorite websites for a bit of end-of-week know-how, or maybe, a pinch of inspiration.

This Friday, I hopped over to Inc.com, one of the best go-to sites for business, and browsed through the headlines for a few good articles to read before packing up for the highly-anticipated weekend. Before long, I had 4 shiny new tabs opened up on my browser. I was read to roll.

Though all of them offered up some great tips and advice, there was one in particular that I wanted to share with you today.

4 Traits of Good Leaders had me at hello. And by "hello", I mean a page-width size picture of JFK at the start.   :) But it was more than just a pretty picture. The paragraphs to follow had some incredibly insightful and inspiring advice.

The article cited these traits as the four common to all great leaders:

Aspire |  Plan  |  Inspire  |  Execute 


The explanation of the first trait concluded with some really insightful words, and today, I plan to share those words of aspiration to inspire you to go out and execute the goals that you have set for yourself.
Great leaders do not aim for the easily achievable. They aspire for loftier goals. Why, you may ask? Because if you plan for mediocrity all that you and those around you will ever achieve is just that, mediocrity. But if you aspire for greatness, even if you come up short, more likely than not you will still achieve a level greater than that which you knew you could reach. Great leaders always aim for goals higher than others think can be achieved. Aspire to greatness. 
It makes you just want to get up and go, doesn't it? It's ok to have lofty goals, to be what some may call "a dreamer", because in the process of just setting up for those goals, you will surely achieve great things, and maybe you'll even end up doing greater things than your dreams could have dreamed.

I'd love to hear from you about other traits that you think make a good leader.

Leave a comment below with your ideas.

Keep Smiling,






 If you haven't already, be sure to Like OO on Facebook - I'm sharing a lot of great quotes, articles, new stories, and images that are sure to give you a boost of optimism!

1 comment:

  1. A leader is playing an important role these days. He must take care of the team, to come up with new ideas, to plan what to do to achieve the company's goals and the last but not least to be positive. It's quite hard to be a great leader without these things. If we have businesses we can hold leadership training camps for our employees as well... they must learn new and interesting things regarding this subject.

    ReplyDelete

Please Share Your Thoughts! I Appreciate Your Comments and Can't Wait to Hear from You!